When you get ready to place a home on the market and put it up for sale, it becomes a product. And just like any other product, it has its features and benefits; pluses and minuses. And there are other products to compete with. To gain the edge in your marketplace you must be priced right and better than the competition.
Things to Keep in Mind:
- Buyers know what they see, not how it is going to be.
- You can’t sell it if you can’t see it.
- You can’t sell it if you can smell it.
- The way you live in your home is different from the way you should market and sell your home.
- Stand in the doorway of every room, look at the room through buyers’ eyes, be tough on yourself: What can you live without during the sale of your home?
- What are some things you can do to spruce up your home: Trim back and remove dead leaves on houseplants, make sure all lamps have working bulbs, clean out fireplaces, reduce clutter on bookcases, counter tops, and tables, clean out cat boxes, clean the oven, just to name a few, you get the idea!
- Most carpets need to be cleaned. Have a professional carpet cleaner clean the carpets before your first showing. If the carpets need to be replaced have them replaced unless you don’t want to ask top dollar.
- Be sensitive to odors because buyers are!
- Wash all windows inside and out, views are important to buyers, let them see them!
- Repair any items that are broken or not working. This will show that your home is well taken care of, and in most cases, a buyer will ask to have them repaired anyway.
- Pack up little things. Little things create clutter and they need to be packed up anyway – you’re moving!
When you sell your home you’re going to have to move. When you have to move you have to pack. The principle of staging your home just means that you’re going to have to pack up some of your things early. It is a little work up front, but getting a head-start in the beginning, will save you stress before closing!
Remember to keep the outside of your home just as inviting. It’s the first thing a buyer sees! The first impression is the most memorable, make it a great one!
Now that you have brought your home to above market standards by Staging your Home, you are ready to sell!
Staged Right.com offers staging ideas and services.
Houzz.com has a great article on Home Staging I think you will find helpful as well!
If you have any other questions about staging your home or if you are interested in speaking with a realtor about selling your home, give me a call anytime.
Lori Hamilton, Realtor GRI, ABR
Sales Associate, BHHSMT